Before burning, always trim the wooden wick to 3mm. You can use a wick trimmer, nail clippers, or scissors. Always make sure to keep your wooden wick this short, if your wick is too long it cannot absorb the wax and may not burn properly. Remember to snap off the charred bits and trim your wick again if needed after each burn.
Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
Always use a candle placemat. It should be heat resistant, sturdy, and large enough to contain any drips or melted wax.
Burn candles in a well-ventilated room:
Avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
Do not burn for longer than four hours and cool for at least two hours before relighting.
When lighting a candle, use long matches or a long-reach lighter. Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame.
Never leave a candle unattended.
Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
Never touch or move a candle while it is burning or while the wax is liquefied.
Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 1/2 inch remains in the container.
The wooden wicks are designed to give a nice clean burn and should not produce any smoke. If you do notice smoke from your candle it means the wick has not been trimmed short enough or there is a draft interfering with the natural burn.
Place burning candles at least three inches apart from one another. This is to make sure they don’t melt one another, or create their own drafts that will cause the candles to burn improperly.
Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too high or flickers repeatedly. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and check for unwanted drafts before re-lighting.
Never use a candle as a night light or while you may fall asleep.
Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure. Never use a candle during a power outage to look for things in a closet, or when fueling equipment – such as a lantern or kerosene heater.
When Extinguishing a Candle:
Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
Never use water to extinguish a candle. Water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might break a glass container.
Make sure the candle is completely out and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.
Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.
Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use.